We have been talking about retirement in the last few entries. The topics that were discussed are:
- The old and new meaning of retirement.
- The importance of finances – plus 14 other success factor that attribute to a successful retirement.
- The Challenges and how this can and should be the best part of you life.
Here are 10 questions to ask yourself as you move toward retirement:
- Why am I retiring?
Am I tired? Need a change? Need a year away from work? Want to travel?
- Do I really want to retire [not work]?
Am I calling it retirement when, in fact, I’d rather keep working, but on a limiting basis?
- What haven’t I done yet that I’ve always wanted to do or try? [your bucket list]
Travel extensively? Paint? Write? Volunteer? Be lazy? Read for pleasure? Watch TV? Be entertained? Take great care of my body? Etc.
- How much choice do I really have, financially?
How much can I spend each month without worry? Are my investments safe enough for me? Do I need to work part time or in cycles [like every 6 months or every several years]? Do I need to move into a smaller home/condo? Etc.
- How good is my relationship with my children/family?
Am I loved/wanted? Am I a drag? How often will I/we be seeing them?
- How good is my relationship with self and my spouse?
- How can I stay healthy for as long as possible?
- What are the traps that other retiree’s fall into that I wish avoid?
- How will I continue to feel vital and get all of my emotional, physical, intellectual, spiritual needs met?
- Do I truly realize that THIS is MY time – to do EXACTLY as I wish?
Most people spend more time planning their vacations than they do planning for their retirement. I would like to help you with your plan. I encourage anyone considering retirement to think about and answer these questions honestly. Feel free to contact me for further information or if you have any questions.