In the August 2006 issue I gave 10 top tips on How to Delegate. I’m seeing another challenge for entrepreneurs / managers on why they should delegate.
The art of delegating is anything but the practice of “dumping” responsibility off your plate onto someone else. Delegation requires a vision toward maximizing your time and talents by focusing on the right mix of things to achieve your larger objectives. Here are some reasons for dealing out tasks that are best performed by others:
- Frees up your time and energy to perform at a higher level.
- Lets you see more clearly what task or projects need your direct attention.
- Giving responsibility to other in your group fosters team-building. Make sure that the objectives of the responsibilities are clear and agreed to in order to get buy-in.
- Lends a new dimension as to how thing can be done. Can lead to interesting results!
- Builds others’ skills and self esteem. Delegating reflects trust in that person’s ability to perform.
- Delegation reduces delay.
- Creates greater efficiency if tasks are delegated to and performed by individuals with more expertise than you have. No need to reinvent the wheel. There are outside vendors and consultants for just about anything. Don’t overlook in-house expertise.
- Can help get work done on time.
- Skillful delegation creates win-win situations for all involved.
- A good exercise to develop your letting go and trusting.
My hope is that the above-named reasons will encourage you to practice delegating. Your business and life will be that much better for it.